
Have you ever tried to jump rope and hold up your pants at the same time? Today I was jumping rope at recess with some of the second graders. They were pretty impressed that I could jump more than two jumps in a row, let alone run in. I guess it seems impossible that I was once a child who spent her whole recess jumping rope.
Anyway, I was wearing my mid-rise jeans- no belt- and I found that I had to hold up my pants as I jumped to keep them from slipping down. Yikes! The funny thing is that I have noticed the little second grade girls have the same problem. They will be jumping while trying to keep their little jeans from falling down. A lot of the time, they're trying to keep their slip-on, high-heeled shoes from falling off too. It's made me take a second thought about what my own daughter wears to school. Do we choose the stylish flats or the sturdy tennis shoes? And what ever happened to little girl jeans that actually come to the waist and have elastic in the back to keep them from flashing the world? Let me tell you, I've never seen so many little girls with what should be an overweight plumber's problem. The underlying question is do I want my daughter (and myself) to always be fixing her clothes or do I want her to be able to run and jump and play and not worry about her clothes coming off? The answer seems easy- buy her a belt- and one for me while I'm at it.
No comments:
Post a Comment