Friday, March 6, 2009

A Teenage Daughter!



Has it really been thirteen years? I can vividly remember how I felt when the ultrasound showed that I was having a daughter. The first thing I did was go to Old Navy and buy her an outfit. After having two sons, there was this worry that I'd never have a girl. Of course, some days all boys seems like a good thing. A lot less emotional drama and no bathroom drawer full of ponytails, ribbons and clips.

Kaitlyn was the cutest little baby- only 6 pounds 3 ounces. She was like a little kewpie doll with a dark curl of hair on the top of her head. She quickly grew into a chubby, roly-poly baby and then a full-of-fun toddler who had no trouble keeping up with her older brothers. 

These days, we have a pretty good relationship, but it definitely has some mother-daughter conflict. I worry about the years ahead. I know not to expect smooth sailing, but I'm hoping to avoid hearing the words "I hate you mom- You're ruining my life." It may only be a matter of time since I'm not a complete push-over.

Someone told me recently that Erma Bombeck said one of her biggest regrets in life is that she didn't say "yes" more often. I wonder if this might be key to a good relationship. Not "yes" to "Can I get my tongue pierced." But more like "yes" to "Can we go out for ice cream."

I realize that the years are flying by. In thirteen more years, she'll be 26! Hopefully graduated from college and married. Maybe even a mother! Someone put on the brakes. This ride is going way too fast!

I pledge to be better at saying "yes."

1 comment: