One of my favorite books growing up was Anne of Green Gables- really all 8 of them were my favorite. Particularly number 3 and number 8. Anyway, at the beginning of the first book, Anne asks Matthew, her shy new adopted father, which he would rather be, if he had the choice: "divinely beautiful, dazzlingly clever, or angelically good." If you've never read Anne, you don't know that she was prone to wild imaginations and a lot of adjectives. Anyway, Matthew doesn't know and she admits she can't decide either. She's pretty sure she'll never be angelically good. She's clever, but wants desperately to be beautiful. She doesn't think that will ever happen either because she has red hair and freckles.
I've thought about this too. I know I should want to be angelically good, but I can't say that I would choose being good if I had to be ugly and stupid. I would love to be beautiful, but not if it meant being stupid and bad. You see the dilemma. Can't I just have all three? Of course not, that wouldn't be making the choice. Luckily, this is all conjecture. It's kind of the opposite of that game where you have to choose between doing two different repugnant things: "Would you rather eat rotten meat or lick a rat." Both yucky.
As it is, I guess I should be satisfied with what I have- a little clever, a little pretty when I try really hard and a little good when I try even harder. I should take some good advice: "Forget yourself and go to work."
So now you know what I was thinking about this morning. Enjoy the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment