Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Who Controls the Radio?

The other night, my fourteen-and-a-half-year-old son had a "discussion." I was driving him to basketball practice and he wanted to change the radio station. I was listening to the particular song that he objected to, and wouldn't let him change it. He told me the "rule" was that the passenger was in charge of the radio.

"Says Who?" I replied.

"Says everyone-" says he. "All my friend's mom's let them choose the station." (This seems reminiscent of the "everyone else is doing it" argument).

"Well, maybe their moms don't listen to the radio, but I do" I said. "In my car, it's the driver who's in charge."

Of course, he didn't think this was fair, and we went back and forth on this for the whole ride. He's always been one to argue, and I always seem to oblige. Finally, I came up with the clincher: I told him to picture himself as a seventeen-year-old driver with his sister in the front passenger seat. "Who's in charge of the radio." "Me, of course" he says.

"Exactly" said I. "End of discussion."

No comments:

Post a Comment